Saturday 30 December 2017

formatting - Windows installation: Couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one


I was trying to get a clean Windows installation on my hard drive, but am running into some issues. I get to the part where I need to select which hard drive I want to install Windows on. I have 2 harddrives, but both give this error:



We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files.



Extra info:



  • Trying to install Windows 8.1

  • The computer had Windows 8.1 installed before that too

  • I'm installing through an USB drive with MBR partition scheme

  • Screenshot of the error message

  • My BIOS settings: 1, 2, 3

  • I'm unable to copy or upload my Setup log files (since no OS) but I seem to be getting the exact same ones as here


Things I have tried:



  • Cleaning the DISKPART

  • Formatting the drives before attempting to install Windows

  • Deleting and re-adding the drives

  • Deleting and attempting to install on unallocated space

  • Changing the boot order in the BIOS between Harddrive and USB

  • Changing the SATA mode in the BIOS between AHCI and IDE

  • Changing the EFI mode in the BIOS

  • Disabling USB Legacy Boot mode and re-enabling it again

  • Resetting the PC through the advanced Repair options, however this would corrupt the USB drive and result in this error

  • Plugging out one of the hard drives so there was only one to install to

  • Unplugging the USB, however it wouldn't let me continue the installation or even get to the first step without the USB.

  • Fixing the MBR

  • Tried Windows 7

  • Resetting the BIOS to default Factory settings


None of these solutions worked.



Answer



Apparently my specific BIOS version simply did not allow OS installation through USB:


Serial ATA AHCI BIOS, Version iSrc 1.20E
Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Intel Corporation
**This version supports only Hard Disk and CDROM disks.**
Please wait. This will take few seconds.

This would appear for about 0,5 sec during the boot sequence.


I found an old Windows 7 CDRom and it's installing without issues now.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...