Sunday 19 November 2017

windows - I've lost access to my encrypted files


I have an account on Windows Server 2008 R2, which at the moment I am using as a desktop.


I had certain files encrypted under a standard user account.


I changed my password, and then lost power without logging off. After logging in again I was no longer able to access those files. Changing the password back to the original did not help.


I have imported my backup certificate to the personal store with the correct password, although this did not grant me access.


What can I do?


edit: Is this because I did not backup my certificate/key after changing my password? Have I now lost access?



Answer



Unfortunately, Windows is doing its job by denying you access with your old key :/ Windows requires a new key with a new password when it encrypts so someone with an old key gets locked out, just like a dead bolt.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...