Saturday 18 November 2017

windows - How do I move files between computers while preserving file dates?


I have a lot of files that I often search for based on creation date.


When I copy files from my old computer to the new one, all of my creation dates are set to the current time (i.e. I lose the original creation date).


How can I copy files between the two system that keeps the original date attributes (creation/modified/accessed)?


I have looked at 7-zip, but it does not appear to keep the creation date attribute, which is the one most needed.



Answer



The robocopy command preserves all three dates (created, modified, accessed).


The syntax is:


       Usage :: ROBOCOPY source destination [file [file]...] [options]

source :: Source Directory (drive:\path or \\server\share\path).
destination :: Destination Dir (drive:\path or \\server\share\path).
file :: File(s) to copy (names/wildcards: default is "*.*").

For the full syntax, execute robocopy /?.


robocopy comes with all recent versions of Windows. However, if you don't feel comfortable using the command line, you can download the Utility Spotlight Robocopy GUI from Microsoft TechNet.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...