Wednesday 1 November 2017

windows 10 - what are the signs that a check disk/disk repair is not working?

I'm trying to understand whether the current state of my Windows 10 PC should be interrupted and force a reboot. I see an arrow cursor on my screen with a black background, and if I move the mouse, the cursor will move also.


My Windows 10 machine froze and needed to be rebooted. It happened twice today, which is somewhat unusual. It prompted me for a checkdisk upon reboot which I accepted. It gets stuck at about 8% or so or then reboots to repeat things again. Once or twice it boots into Windows semi-normally. During those occasions, I could see the Windows desktop screen, but startup icons didn't load properly and I can't start any program (though I can right click the desktop and see some options. Now I only see the arrow icon on the screen (it's been that way for about 30 minutes).


One complicating factor is that the hard disk is almost full (100 gigs of a 2 TB hard drive). (I haven't had the chance to back up to an external drive). I'm assuming that this will complicate a checkdisk/repair action. Also, I just updated Windows 10 earlier today.


So far the arrow icon with a black background has been on my screen for about 30 minutes. I realize that I should wait longer, but how do I know that the checkdisk repair is no longer "doing anything."? Should I just wait until the arrow cursor is frozen?


Also, if I were to force a hard reboot and repeat the process, would the time needed to do checkdisk be reduced by how long it was running that process prior to the reboot?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...