Thursday 2 November 2017

linux - bash - directories ending in . and whitespace cannot be removed

On my external hard drive are two directories, Fun. and Complex_, where that _ is a whitespace. I cannot empty from my trash or remove them with rm -rf and I want to. Neither show up in Finder on OSX, and I don't remember if they showed up in dolphin on linux. But they do show up in bash.


rm and mv returns No such file or directory. Containing folders can be moved and bring the special directories with them but they cannot be deleted.


Why can ls detect the files but rm and mv can't? How can I fix them? I am using \_on the complex file. (_ is whitespace).


Edit


The characters must not be the problem. I made "test." and "test " and I had no trouble removing them using quotes. But these dirs still cannot be removed. There must be something very low level wrong with the actual files themselves


sagan:Math ptwales$ ls
Complex
sagan:Math ptwales$ ls -i
ls: Complex : No such file or directory
sagan:Math ptwales$ ls -idF *
ls: Complex : No such file or directory
sagan:Math ptwales$ find . -name * -print0
find: ./Complex : No such file or directory
sagan:Math ptwales$

Same results with Fun. I'm guessing that the parent dir's have links to the files and know their names but files just don't exist or are corrupted somehow.


The external drive is in exFAT format. Would that be relevant?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...