Sunday 3 September 2017

boot - Why is Windows 7 not listed in "Start-up and Recovery" Options


Today when I went into Control Panel -> System and Security -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Start-up & Recovery Settings I saw that under "Default Operating System" there is nothing listed! I restarted and Windows 7 started-up fine. The only thing that I noticed was that there was a blank screen for about a minute or two before the Windows Loading screen when before Windows loaded instantly. I restarted a few times and the blank screen always shows for 1 - 2 minutes before the Windows Loading Screen.


How could this have happened? I haven't tried to install another OS. How can I fix it? Should I run fixmbr? Is this causing the Blank Screen?


I only have 1 OS installed (Windows 7)



Answer



Fixed the problem. On the "advice" from a friend, I set the active partition from the 100mb "System" to C:. Restarted, "Windows Boot Manager Failed to Load Windows". Inserted installation DVD and select "Repair your Computer". When it was searching OS's it came up and said I had a boot manager problem and do I want to repair it? I did and Windows loaded. I can see Windows 7 listed in the “Start-up and Recovery” Options. I can also now hibernate! (see this question). Windows boots instantly and is actually a lot snappier! I have no idea how this could have helped, but it did. The only problem is that the Windows Boot Screen is the old "Vista" style (i.e. just a progress bar at the bottom), so anyone knows how to fix this, then please say.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...