Friday 29 September 2017

Using the “Combining Enclosing Circle” character in Word


Is there a way to use the “Combining Enclosing Circle” UNICODE character (U+20DD) together with some other character in Word 2010 to actually form a circled character? There are glyphs for e.g. circled digit one (“①”), but I need circled Latin capital letter A.



Answer



One trick to do this is to adjust the tracking. In Word (2007), you can highlight the two adjacent glyphs, go into the Font dialog, choose the character spacing tab, set "spacing" to "condensed" and "by" field to something such as 10pt. Check the preview for alignment.


This essentially sets the spacing between the two glyphs to a negative amount, causing the second one to overlap the first one. If you change the typeface or size, you will need to tweak it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...