Saturday 23 September 2017

paging - Is virtual memory related to virtual address space of a process?

I have understood that Paging is a memory management technique which allows computer to bring data from secondary storage to main memory for executing process. It gives an impression to process that it has a large contiguous address space available to it (virtual address space). Page table maps virtual addresses of a process to physical address. Virtual addresses are the address that CPU uses. When need to access memory, physical address(actual address in RAM) corresponding to virtual address is obtained from page table using translation process. And concept of Virtual memory – when CPU needs memory more than the physical memory present, OS uses some part of secondary storage as RAM.


I get confused when I try to relate these two concepts. My question is - is virtual memory related to virtual address space of a process. Is virtual address space of a process actually present in virtual memory? But how is it possible since virtual memory is actually part of secondary storage. OR virtual address space of process is located in RAM? Does both the Virtual and Physical address space of a process present in RAM? Kindly clarify.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...