Friday 22 September 2017

networking - Detect IP Conflicts on Network


I have a Wireless WAN network that I am managing devices on. We recently had an IP conflict that took us over 10 months to find (we had no idea there was even a conflict until we were pinging a device and pulled the plug and it kept pinging). Are there any utility programs made for Windows that can scan an entire network's arp packets and just make sure there are no IP conflicts, for ALL nodes on the network? (I know you can arp/ping/check on windows for individual machines)



  • DHCP cannot be set, this is a wireless communications network

  • The devices must have statically assigned IP addresses, regardless, but even if DHCP was enabled, the device would have to respect it, so I still need to detect for conflicts as the device(s) may or may not be set to respect DHCP.

  • I do not have direct control over all of these devices at any given time. Many of them are literally under guard & locked buzzer. Some are even 200ft up in the air.



Answer



You want something like arpwatch. I have only used it on Linux, but there are some Windows clones available. I have no personal experience with them though.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...