Thursday 28 September 2017

How to disable search in the Google Chrome address bar?




Possible Duplicate:
Force Chrome to open URLs as URLs, instead of searching



I'm surprised that I haven't found this question on superuser. Forgive me if it's a duplicate, but how do you disable the search functionality in Google Chrome's address bar?


I want it to be just a straight up address bar. I know the address where I want to go. I don't want to have to click the "did you mean to go to" link all the time when Chrome thinks the word I typed is more likely to be a search term than a server. You'd think putting the http:// in front would help, but I already do this by default anyway and no dice. =/


Thanks!



Answer



You can't disable the search feature of the Omnibox.


You can disable instant search by clicking the wrench > options > basic and unchecking "enable instant."


A possible work around is to create a custom search engine for chrome. Right click in the Omnibox (search bar) and choose Edit search engines. You can create a blank search engine that will always fail by putting "no" "null" and "http://%s" in the Name, Keyword, and URL fields respectively.


If you're trying to point this to a local host, you could potentially use the URL field for this, though I have not tried this, and cannot confirm.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...