Saturday 23 September 2017

permissions - Windows 10, cannot run any .exe from secondary drives


When I try to run any exe from any secondary (non C:) drive or partition, I get a message box with Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You, may not have the appropiate permissions for the item if I try to run it from cmd I get Access is denied..


Additional info:



  • I'm administrator.

  • I have full control over the files.

  • Tried it with a known exe (wordpad). Copied it on the Desktop and it worked. From anywhere on the secondary partition of the local HDD, or a removable USB didn't.

  • This worked 3 months ago, not sure when it stopped working

  • I'm the owner of the file


(edit: added that I'm the owner of the file)



Answer



The problem was caused by a Local Group Policy Admistrative Template, Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Removable Storage Access\Removable Disks: Deny execute access, which was manually set to enable.


After resetting it to Not Configured and rebooting the problem disappeared.


Apparently the secondary partition from my main hard drive was also considered a "Removable Disk".


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...