Thursday 28 September 2017

windows 7 - Realign Remote Desktop session icons to physical desktop's


Somehow, the desktop icons for a workstation that i frequently Remote-desktop into has been rearranged to the right side. I don't know how/when that happened, but only discovered when I minimised all windows (which i seldom do).


enter image description here


The good thing is, when i log on physically to the workstation, the desktop arrangement is back to the regular alignment. So there is a "disconnect" between Windows 7's physical layout vs virtual RDP layout.


Now the question is, how is it possible for me to get the RDP layout to "reset" and follow the physical alignment again?



Answer



There is really no such thing as "physical" or "RDP" layout, or one layout "following" another. There are only different screen resolutions, each of which has its own icon positions stored in the registry at:


HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\1\Desktop

For example, if your screen (whether RDP or physical) is 1280x1024, the positions are stored in the value ItemPos1280x1024(1). Delete it and the icons will be put in the default places.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...