Thursday 28 September 2017

macos - Hide users from Mac OS X Snow Leopard logon screen


Somehow, I managed to set a passwd for my _postgres user on my OS instead of setting it on the postgres role I have as my superuser / root. Anyways since this, I've been struggling with that user showing up in the account section and login screen, which I really would like to avoid. I've read through some docs about this, and setting the password to * should be all that is needed to fix this. But after several attempts doing this with and without dscl to no avail, I'm gotten to a point where I don't know what to do anymore.


I didn't think it would be even hard doing this, but clearly I'm missing something, so how do you do this?



Answer



The easiest method for hiding system users (if their user ID is < 500) in the login window is to run the following command:


sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow Hide500Users -bool TRUE

Alternatively you can manually hide just the username by running


sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow HiddenUsersList -array-add '_postgres'

To hide the 'Others...' item from the login window if need be:


sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow SHOWOTHERUSERS_MANAGED -bool FALSE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact&#39;s avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...