Sunday 24 September 2017

sniffing - Wireshark - Help seeing all network traffic

I have a Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter and am running Windows 8. Sadly although my new computer helps in the design and testing of my touch based applications, my Network Engineering abilities are in decline.


For some reason Wireshark does not display 802.11 traffic (I really want HTTP, although TCP and UDP are hard to live without) to and from other hosts on the network. I have been reading help files and what not, and am troubled to find reference to some ..adapters or drivers being crippled by design (?).


I understand the reason for this, but still it annoys me!


What I really would like is some help in getting Wireshark to work .. or perhaps a new driver that doesn't prevent promiscuous mode .. or something .. Does anyone have any ideas?


I must confess I did have one idea to study my network traffic - I downloaded a virtual router and connected my PC to the net. Then connected everything to the virtual router. It works well for most devices, although some devices behave oddly. I tested a Nintendo 3DS on it and managed to manually configure it to connect, although it disconnects randomly depending on the software I attempt to start on the 3DS (for example, a Pokemon game that I wanted to have a look at - curious to know how pokemon are sent from pokemon_gl to a 3ds, how the SYNC process works etc! Also curious to know if I can inject a packet and turn one 'pokemon' into another in transit! Such fun :D).


In short, I have millions of questions and love studying how stuff fits together, and tinkering with things. Please help me to get Wireshark working! It is easier than reprogramming my open source virtual router ..although that will be my next question if I can't get Wireshark going - be warned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...