Friday 22 September 2017

Using anti-static wrist strap to ground against laptop


I want to do laptop maintenance and looking to ground myself with an anti-static wrist strap.


How, or where, do I ground myself to the laptop? Where can I find a grounding point in order to not make a mistake and spoil something?



Answer



You do not want to ground yourself to the laptop. You want to be grounded to earth.


The anti-static wrist strap should have come with an attached wire. The other end of that wire should be connected to an electrical ground. The center screw of the AC wall outlet holding the cover plate is a suitable connection point that is tied to your dwelling's ground (assuming you have 3-prong outlets and the outlet is properly wired and up to code). Make sure you attach to bare metal and not the paint on the screw.


Once you are grounded, you do not want to touch any live circuit. So the equipment should be turned off and unplugged. Ideally, especially with high voltage devices, you should use the hand that has the strap to poke around and the other hand behind your back or in your pocket. The idea is that if you do get shocked, the electrical current only has a path from your hand to the strap, and not across your chest and heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...