Wednesday 14 March 2018

windows vista - How do I identify what is freezing explorer?


I have a vista ultamite machine that has been running fine for over a year. In the last few months it has started freezing up. Not completely but just explorer.


Any application already started seems to continue working fine, but the start/task bar stops responding along with any windows explorer window.


It can be 5 mins after booting that this issue happens, or up to an hour of so.


This also seems to cause an issue with shutdown also.



Answer



I would start by running Process Explorer from Microsoft/Sysinternals. By watching explorer.exe in PE, you may be able to see what part of it is causing the hangs. Could very well be some type of codec/add-in etc crashing or timing out.


Edit: I just came across an amazing tutorial from Kansas State University on using Process Explorer, complete with screenshots (PDF link): Process Explorer Tutorial Handout


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...