Saturday 3 March 2018

networking - 2 WAN to LAN, What router do I need?

I did CCNA a long, long time ago at school, and now I need to use it. But as you know, you forget things quite easily when not using them. :P


Ok, I need a router that is able to be connected to 2 WAN ISP's and to the LAN (duh), so that when one WAN connection fails, the other one will take over, or that they divide the load evenly or something like that.


But now I see the routers coming with ADSL, DSL. I have three connections available: 1 cable internet, 1 DSL, and 1 ADSL. Can anyone explain to me which router is able to take two WAN connections? Or tell me what to do best in this situation?


I see that Cisco has a new series 1800, 2800, etc. But I come from the 2600 and 3600 series times, so it isn't telling me much.


-- EDIT --


I've spoken to a friend of mine in systems and networking, and he suggested that it's also possible to use a layer 3 switch. Connecting two ISP to it from the modems and configuring it so that it will balance the load on both WAN ports when needed. What is the downside of using a layer 3 switch instead of a router?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...