Saturday 3 March 2018

windows - Command Prompt in Administrator mode doesn't see mapped drives



I am not sure but when I start my Command Prompt in Administrator mode, I can't switch to a mapped drive. I can do so if I am not in Administrator mode.


Am I missing something simple?



Answer



When you start a command prompt "As Administrator" it's running in a different user context than when you don't.


Since mapped drives are user-centric, that Admin user context will not have the (same) drives, and you'll have to map them for that user context once the command window is open as Adminsitrator, e.g. by running net use : \\\. An example:


net use Z: \\SuperServer\SuperShare

Also, you can enable the EnableLinkedConnections flag in the registry to cause the session token to be shared:



To work around this problem, configure the EnableLinkedConnections registry value. This value enables Windows Vista and Windows 7 to share network connections between the filtered access token and the full administrator access token for a member of the Administrators group.



To do this, set the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\EnableLinkedConnections DWORD flag to 1, and then reboot your machine.


For more info on that from Microsoft, see: Some Programs Cannot Access Network Locations When UAC Is Enabled


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...