Friday 19 January 2018

64 bit - Windows 7 OEM 64 bit installation



I am a new user to SU. Sorry if this has already been asked before. I did ask a user in a comment a while back.


Anyway here goes : I assembled my own PC. I purchased the OEM version from the market here in India of Windows 7 Home Basic 32 bit.


I have since upgraded my RAM to 8 GB the maximum permissible under Windows 7 Home Basic.


I am trying to upgrade my OS to 64 bit. For that I downloaded Windows 7 from Microsoft. I could only get Professional edition. OK No problem. I downloaded the ei cfg utility that removes the ei cfg file from the ISO. But while installing it did not present me with a choice of OS versions. It only installed the professional version.


So I restored the ei cfg file, changed the version to Windows 7 Home Basic. Now while booting from DVD-ROM I get an error saying the key does not match any of the images.


I am legitimate user, but these days it is difficult to find the links to my version on DigitalRiver.


What am I doing wrong? I realize the setup has changed.


Is there a pre-SP1 version that gives me OS choices? (I would appreciate links official or torrents).



Answer



I can tell you right now why the key doesn't work. You purchased a 32-bit version with a 32-bit key. It's not happy your using a 64-bit version with a 32-bit key. The only thing I can think of if you want to stay a legitimate user is to call Microsoft and ask if you can trade your 32-bit key for a 64-bit key. The may or may not allow you to do this. Sorry.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...