Sunday 3 September 2017

How to force power-off of a Samsung Series 9 laptop?


No, the four-second hold on the power button isn't working.


The battery is built-in and not user removable.


I was working on installing Fedora 15 on a new Samsung 900X3A (a very neat machine) and Linux crashed while trying to reboot. After that, nothing works. The power button does not work. Closing the lid does not work. Control-Alt-Delete does not work.


I am currently working on the plan of letting the battery run dry and then rebooting it, but I would welcome anything that let me get back to using it earlier.



Answer



According to this blog post the Samsung tech support confirmed that there is no way to force a reboot if the device is completely locked up. He ended up tearing it apart and unplugging the battery cable.



Kernel panic isn’t typically a huge problem, except in this case: when the system went into Kernel panic, the hard-reset itself no longer worked! I called Samsung tech support to see if a hard-reset called for anything more than holding down the power button until the system turned off, but it did not. The system was simply too deeply locked up to even be reset.


Given the machine’s seven-hour battery life, I didn’t feel like waiting out the problem, so I ultimately ended up taking apart the hardware to yank the battery cable.



EDIT


There actually is a way of enforcing a power-off. On the bottom of the laptop there is a tiny pinhole. If you put a paper clip in it while it is unplugged, it will turn off. However, it will refuse to boot until it is plugged in again!


Orientation help


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...