Tuesday 19 June 2018

windows 10 - What is synchronized and how?

Sometimes, when I reinstalled Windows 8.1, I got back to my start screen layout, desktop backgrounds and some other settings, like Visual Studio settings.


This stopped to work in one of Windows 10 test builds, and now seems to work again, but I'm not sure. There is a full release, so (theoretically) it should work. My all preferences should be synchronized with the cloud. But are they?


What exact settings are synchronized? Edge bookmarks? It's very important; if Edge bookmarks are not synchronized, then it's a waste of time to create bookmark knowledge base now in Edge. Are there any conditions for synchronization? Let's say I make a clean install of Windows 10, with option "keep nothing".


Let's say something broke in my user profile; so, I detach my profile from Microsoft Account, fix the profile and then reattach the profile to local account again. Last time I've done this was to rename my user profile folder. I've noticed all my settings gone.


The point is that I've done the same in Windows 8.1 (converted my profile to local account and then again to Microsoft account); my settings stayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...