Saturday 23 June 2018

linux - Name of log file where boot process is logged


I'm using CentOS 5.3. After booting up, where can I find the log file that contains if all services where successfully loaded or not?


For example when computer boots you get a list of start services and they can be OK or FAILED.


Is there a log file where this information is kept? I had a look in the following directory /var/log/ but not sure which one will contain the informaiton that I need.


Many thanks for any advice,



Answer



Two places to look:


Run dmesg. From its man page "dmesg is used to examine or control the kernel ring buffer. The program helps users to print out their bootup messages."


Look in /var/log/messages


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...