Thursday 21 June 2018

linux - Easier way to create floppy disk images?


I'm using Vyatta routers with KVM and want to attach a floppy drive with a config file for Vyatta when I boot the image. I'll be doing this over and over again, and as such am looking for an automated way of creating the floppy images.


Right now, I'm doing the following:



  1. Create floppy image with qemu-img create

  2. Format floppy image with mkdosfs

  3. Mount floppy image with mount -t fat /tmp/floppy.img /media/floppy

  4. Populate floppy image with cp -r /tmp/configs/ /media/floppy/

  5. Unmount floppy image with umount /media/floppy

  6. Save floppy image with mv /tmp/floppy.img ~/floppies/


Any chance there's an easier way to do this?! Perhaps a shortcut application that I can give a directory to and it will do all this for me w/out having to mount the image?



Answer



If they are all identical, I would use dd in this case.
Make one floppy, use this command to make an image of the floppy once you've created it
dd if=/dev/fd0 of=floppy.img


Then, when you need a floppy generated, you can write the image to a floppy dd if=floppy.img of=/dev/fd0
Replacing the /dev/fd0 with the floppy disk device of course.


If they configurations are different, then perhaps a script which automates your current process would be better.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...