Thursday 21 June 2018

hard drive - recover partition after reinstall windows XP


My OS was infected by trojan or virus and system files are corrupted. After tried to reinstall XP several time and failed, I took out the hard drive and prepare to back up files for a clean reinstall. Then found my data partition (D:) was empty except only a pagefile.sys, but looking into property, still can see 80% of disk space used (80GB).


It seems the index or something was corrupted during rebooting "chkdsk" when doing recovery installation. I found the disk label has been changed and chkdsk was reindexing that partition. But it hang somewhere so I forced reboot the machine. Could anyone help me out how to fix this?


PS: below is message from chkdsk: Stage(2 of 3) Correcting error in index $0 for files 25. Index verification completed. Error found. CHKDFK cannot continue in read-only mode.



Answer



http://www.piriform.com/recuva Is a free tool made by the makers of CCleaner.


It's worth a shot and certainly doesn't cost any money.


ddrescue is another very powerful option but it's more gear toward linux professionals. It works wonders.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...