Friday 22 June 2018

windows xp - What's this folder?: c8c6ac6192a47b59df


I'm running Win XP SP3 on an IBM R50e laptop, and I just realized a folder named c8c6ac6192a47b59df in the root of my C:\ drive. I can see 2 folders in it named amd64 and i386. These two folders cannot be opened. XP says:
c8c6ac6192a47b59df cannot be accessed. Access Denied.


alt text


However, when I view the properties of the strangely-named folder, it shows 2 folders, 0 files, 0 bytes. I tried Unlocker to be able to unlock and delete the folder, but Unlocker says there are no handlers.


What's this folder and how can I delete it?


EDIT: Thanks to ChrisF, I managed to take ownership of the folders and now able to view the contents. Both folders include same files with different sizes. Should I just delete them?


alt text



Answer



While I can't say for sure, it sounds like some application installer was using the root of the drive for a temporary location, instead of the more logical C:\tmp (or some similar name). This installer forgot to wipe its temporary files or was interrupted mid-install. Deleting the files should be fine (and under Linux it would be done automatically on reboot, I might add); I would try logging in as an administrator to get around the permissions problem.


Answer to edit: Try moving the folder to a different location (bonus points for moving to a removable drive and unplugging it), rebooting, and testing various things. If all goes well, deleting it can't harm anything. Otherwise, move the folder back to its original location.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...