Monday 25 June 2018

windows - Ubuntu grub rescue prompt


Installed WUBI on Windows and the Ubuntu installation completed. The first time I logged in to Ubuntu it updated a full set of patches and asked to reboot.


Now after reboot it is showing me the error:



no such devices found


grub rescue>



Can you share some commands I could use to recover at least Windows? It is not even asking for the Windows login at boot time.



Answer



Cause: Grub2 is not supposed to replace the original bootloader.


Conditions: Windows 7, Netbook, no optical disc drive, no rescue CD, repair startup not found in Windows Rescue Environment (Press F8 before Windows logo appears), failed to uninstall Grub and restore Windows bootloader


Solutions:



  1. Get SuperGrubDisk to boot into the Windows partition.

  2. In Windows, get Mbrfix.exe to fix the MBR (run Mbrfix /drive 0 fixmbr /win7).


Do read the instructions in the documentation.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...