Saturday 19 May 2018

windows 7 - Is it possible to create a software RAID 1 with different sector sizes?

I bought a hard drive of a different model to my main drive and tried to mirrored them, but the following error message came up in Windows 7 Virtual Disk Manager:



All disks holding extends for a given volume must have the same sector size, and the sector size must be valid.



My disks have the following stats:


Main drive: SAMSUNG HD103SI, physical sector size 512b.
Mirror drive: WDC WD10EARX, physical sector size 4096b.

Running chkdsk they both report 4096 bytes in each allocation unit, which I assume is another way to say "virtual sector size".


Do the physical sector sizes have to match? Can I somehow reformat a drive to match the other? It'd be nice if I could use different drives, then I could step-wise upgrade in the future.


I was thinking that I could clone my main drive to my mirror drive and then use the main drive as a mirror instead. Would that work, or it would just be a huge waste of time?


EDIT: I noticed that I can create a mirrored volume on both drives from 2 unallocated drives. but when I create a volume first, right click it and then try the option "add mirror" it always gives the "sector size error" message to me. is this a bug? Why does add mirror" not work?


Anyway, assuming I will have to reinstall windows 7 on them, I am going to follow this guide here and well see how it goes: http://my.opera.com/Devocalypse/blog/2011/03/02/install-windows-7-on-a-dynamic-disk-pro-and-ultimate-only


EDIT: It works. Managed to install Windows on the "mirrored volume" by following the guide, however I still want to copy/clone my current "main volume" to the dynamic disk.


EDIT: Bought another identical disk this time and now the "Add Mirror" button works. I clone the data onto the new disk then boot from there then I press "Add mirror" and it works. Now I am trying to figure out why the other mirrored drive won't boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...