Wednesday 23 May 2018

Why is ubuntu shutdown so fast compared to Windows 7

I have installed Windows 7 64 bit and Ubuntu 10.10 32 bit on my machine. The partition sizes are 400 GB and 100 GB receptively. I've always wondered how Ubuntu shuts down so fast? It takes only 5 seconds or less whereas Windows 7 takes a lot longer.


Although, I have more programs installed on Windows 7, but still its shut down time was much more than that of Ubuntu during first month of install. It was 10-15 sec approx. I'm not counting the time used for installing updates sometimes, when shutdown is clicked in Windows 7.


What makes Ubuntu shutdown and boot(faster than Windows 7 but not by wide margin) so fast. Is it the file system? will it be other way around if I had swapped partitions spaces(Can't try this now)? Sorry I don't have Computer Science background, so don't know detailed structure and architecture of OS. Any pointers to this will help me cure my curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...