Saturday 19 May 2018

raspberry pi - Is it possible for a device to request to be assigned a specific ip from the DHCP server (static or dynamic)

Networking beginner, but my experience is in web and mobile app development for 10+ years, so I'm not at all new to technology.


I recently started working on a new team with some dev-ops engineers and they are very familiar with networking, systems, services, automation, and provisioning. In an effort to inexpensively learn more I got 4 raspberry pis and an unmanaged switch.


I'm starting with basic networking and linux administration on my path to learn more about the peripheral and platform technologies that support the applications that I build.


I want my Raspberry Pis to be assigned static IPs from my modem/router/wifi-access-point device (Motorola Surfboard G6580), anytime any Raspberry Pi connects. Is it possible to have the Raspberry Pi (or any other device for that matter) request a specific static IP from the DHCP server?


The modem has a 192.168.0.1 web address that will allow me to manage the dhcp assignment of static ips based on mac addresses. However, I am curious to know if this is possible to automate with a request from the raspberry pi itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...