Tuesday 29 May 2018

macos - How to create image from Windows PC and run on Mac OS X


I don't want to carry my work notebook to home every day, so I thought of creating an image of the notebook's hard disk, and run it on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.


So with what software can I create a virtual image, and with which software can I run this image. I have a preference for free software, but other solutions are welcome too.



Answer



VirtualBox


After finding this question: How to import an image for Virtualbox..., I did some further research and found this link describing how to turn a Windows installation into a Virtualbox virtual disk (it's for Linux, actually, but I guess one can adapt it to MacOS X). The advantage would be that VirtualBox is free, of course. That said, I have no experience with it.


Edit: harrymc suggested this article which describes how to use the VMWare Converter to convert the existing Windows installation to a vmdk-disk (VMWares Virtual Disk format). VirtualBox is able to use this disk just like its own format. (Thanks, harrymc.)


VMWare


VMWare has a Converter Tool (named VMWare Converter Tool... ;-) that does exactly that: http://www.vmware.com/download/fusion/windows_to_mac.html The Tool is free... VMWare Fusion not so much, it's just my tool of choice.


Parallels


There seems to be a special "Switcher" Edition of Parallels that has an easy way to transfer a complete Windows installation via an USB cable. Then again that solution costs money.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...