Saturday 26 May 2018

windows - How do I mount a network drive to a folder?


Does anyone know of a third party (or even windows native) solution to this simple problem?


I want to map an internal network share on our windows server to a folder on each of the client machines in the network. I don't want to to use drive letters; I would just like to set up a folder on my C drive that is actually a Windows share. For example, C:\Data\Network Docs should actually point to \Server\SharedData.


Is this possible? Is there any tool that does it? All clients are using Windows XP and Windows 7.



Answer



In Windows Vista or Windows 7, you can create a "junction folder"/"Symbolic link" to redirect the contents of one to another.


Simply type:


mklink /d "c:\data\network docs" "\\server\shareddata\"

I have not tested it with a FQDN, but as far as I can tell, it should work. I have tested it with a network mapped drive, and this works perfectly... so at a last resort, you can map first, then do this.


The /d creates a directory (c:\data\network docs in this example) and it must not exist. It will be created by this command.


You must have admin privileges when you run CMD. You can do this under an admin account by pressing ctrl-shift-enter instead of enter when you run CMD.


The end result is also achievable in Windows XP, but it is not as easy. Guide here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...