Thursday 24 May 2018

windows - How to install Chrome for just the current user?


How can i install Chrome for just myself?



By default, the Chrome installer will attempt to elevate, and install two system-wide services, as well as scheduled tasks. i need to run Chrome on a server that is not my own.


i don't want any Chrome footprint to exist outside of my user profile; and definitely not install any global services.


How can i have Chrome only for the local user?




Google does provide a Alternate (offline) Google Chrome installer (Windows)



If you're downloading Chrome for your own user account only, use this installer: Alternate installer for one user account »



But this "standalone" installer also installs two services.


This is complicated by the fact that this is a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine, with UAC disabled. If UAC were enabled, and Google's installed tried to elevate, i would deny it.


Although, i know from experience, that if the current user could elevate, it will refuse to install. If the current user is a standard user (i.e. is already running at the highestAvailable) it will install just for that user.


But this is not my server; i cannot change the global UAC settings. Even if decided i should change it, it server needs a restart before the new UAC setting takes effect. And the hundreds of users of the web-server would not appreciate it.


How can i install Chrome for just me?



Answer



You might consider using the Portable Apps version of Chrome.


http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/google_chrome_portable


This version does not require "installation" and its updates are maintained by the PortableApps team instead of Google. I use it to have a 2nd version of chrome for testing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...