Wednesday 23 May 2018

Windows sometimes fails to resume from hibernate

I have a Dell Latitude E5540 running Windows 8.1. Sometimes when I turn on my computer after hibernation it will completely restart Windows instead of resuming from hibernation.


When that happens I notice these entries in the System event log that indicate something went wrong when hibernating:



  • The previous system shutdown at time on ‎date was unexpected.

  • The last shutdown's success status was false. The last boot's success status was true.

  • Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0xC0000411.


What could the problem be and how can I solve it? Are there other steps I should take that would help me diagnose this further?


More details...


What I've tried so far but has not helped:



  • My BIOS, Dell drivers, and Windows Update are all up to date.

  • I turned off fast startup in Power Options. I read in a couple of threads that this option can cause problems with resuming from hibernation.

  • I read that the graphics driver may cause this problem but there's not enough info on what to do about it. Should I uninstall the driver? Install another driver? Are there downsides?

  • I tried changing the boot sequence because I read somewhere that could interfere with hibernation. My options for boot sequence are UEFI and Windows Boot Manager. I have tried different orders of these options and the problem has not gone away. (I have a feeling there are more boot sequence options but I cannot find them. I was expecting to see options for the DVD drive, USB, hard drive...)

  • I disabled hibernation, ran defrag, and re-enabled hibernation.

  • I read a comment somewhere suggesting disabling Intel Rapid Start but I cannot find such an option.

  • I even sent the darn thing to Dell. They replaced some parts and now the problem occurs even more frequently!


Some other info about my system that may help:



  • My bios is A10.

  • Boot mode is set to UEFI, secure boot on.

  • Graphics driver is Intel HD Graphics 4400 driver version 10.18.10.3574

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...