Wednesday 30 May 2018

worksheet function - Split Excel Cell by last Delimiter


I need to split a cell by the first delimter (reading right to left) so that I can put that value in another cell.


For Example, my data in cell A1 could look like:


"something - more something - a lot more of something - (this is the text I need)"

Cell B1 needs the value "(this is the text I need)"


so far what I have is:


=RIGHT(a1,LEN(FIND(RIGHT("-"),a1)))

but this seems to only return the last char: ")".



Answer



You need this formula:


=MID(A1,FIND("~~~~~",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","~~~~~",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-",""))))+1,LEN(A1))

Breakdown:


LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-",""))

Counts the number of times "-" occurs within the cell,


SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","~~~~~",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","")))

Then replaces the last occurrence of "-" with "~~~~~". If "~~~~~" has the possibility of occurring normally in your input, use a different value here.


FIND("~~~~~",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","~~~~~",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-",""))))+1

Finds the position of the "~~~~~" that we just created, and adds one so we start just after it. And then finally, the full formula uses that position and MID() to extract the desired text.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...