Tuesday 22 May 2018

windows xp - "Sharing and Security" is missing from my XP Laptop


I have this work laptop with XP SP3. I am missing the right click option "sharing and security" which allows me to share folders and such. The "Sharing" tab is also missing from a right click > properties. At least I think there used to be one.


Anyway, all the other computers at work have this ability except mine. The server people won't talk to me about it because it's below their pay grade or something.


Any advice would be awesome.



Answer



If even after checking the option "Use simple file sharing", the menu does not show "sharing and security", then check if the following services (control panel->Administrative tools->services) are running or not:
* Server
* workstation


Both the services are required for file sharing to work.


I would also suggest to check you PC for conficker worm infection. This worm infects the "server" service and can cause issues. Check Anti-virus software logs. Anti-virus might kill the "server" service to clean the conficker infection.


Also check if the following dependent services:
* Computer Browser
* NetLogon


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...