Thursday 15 March 2018

Swapping hard disk to new PC causes blue screen with Windows Server 2008


Just taken out a hard disk with Windows Server 2008 on and plugged it into a different PC and tried to boot it - it is blue screening and I can't even tell what the message says as it reboots immediately. I take it I cannot trasfer one hard disk with operating system installed straight onto another PC with a diff motherboard. I know Windows 2000 didn't like it but I'm sure XP was fine with it. Although I have limited experience with Server products I just thought I would double check.



Answer



The most probable reason you are getting a blue screen is conflicting drivers. Your Windows install is set up to boot a certain set of drivers meant for your old system and now that you are plugging the drive into a new machine, the drivers are causing problems.


You can attempt to recover/repair the installation using your Windows Server DVD (boot to the DVD and select the Recovery Console).


With a repair install you shouldn't lose any data, but the drivers should get updated automatically for your new system.


Keep in mind that you should never try this, and that you risk losing your data. Server migrations are not as simple as just plugging in the drive into a new machine, you have to account for the hardware changes that will occur before hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...