Saturday 20 January 2018

windows xp - Clone a Hard Disk Content to Another Hard Disk


I subjected my hard disk (C drive) to a disk scan and found that there was 12 KB of bad sectors. I now consider that disk to be unreliable, and am looking forward to transferring all my data to another file.


The problem is, I want to clone the complete drive (including the apps, OSes, files and everything, verbatim) to another drive. I know there would be some crazy software activation issues, like Windows Not Genuine problem and so on. But I wonder whether is there a tool powerful enough to do the cloning and at the same time maintain the OS and apps?



Answer



Did I understand you correctly, that you want to use the same PC but just change the harddrive? In this case, you shouldn't get "crazy software activation issues".


You can simply use a backup software like




Acronis True Image Home 2011 assures that all your important data, including photos, videos, music, documents and applications, are fully protected and can be recovered quickly in the event of any disaster.



Or if you're looking for a free alternative:




The only free XP, Vista and Windows 7 compatible disk imaging software with BartPE and Linux based recovery options.



  • Create a disk image whilst running Windows using Microsoft Volume Shadow copy Service (VSS).

  • Image to Network, USB, FireWire drives and DVD.

  • Built in scheduler.

  • 32 bit and native 64 bit versions.

  • Industry leading compression levels and speed.

  • Linux based Rescue CD with Network access and full GUI. Only 6.5MB in size!

  • Built in CD/DVD packet writing engine. Supports packet writing to DVD DL media with Windows Vista.

  • HTML log files.



Create a clone of your harddrive, use the Rescue CD to copy the backup to a new drive. Everything will be copied 1:1. Most programs really just give you a hard time with the licenses if you change multiple aspects of your hardware at once.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...