Saturday 16 June 2018

Excel: keyboard shortcut to move (swap) column left or right?


Is there a way to move a column (or row) to the left using only the keyboard? I known I can use ctrl-space (shift-space) to select a column (row), but how to move it to the left or right, actually swapping position with the column to its left or right?


(I am using Excel 2007)



Answer



If you're not set on using the keyboard only, highlight the column, either by Ctrl+Space or clicking on the column header. Then press and hold down the Shift key. In some environments you may see the selection box (border) around the column change to an I-bar. Then you can drag the column to the left or right (using the mouse) and it will move the column there without overwriting data or leaving a blank column.


This also works with rows, and with ranges of columns or rows. The I-bar changes to horizontal or vertical as you move the range, and separates the columns or rows where it will move the range to.


To summarize:



  • Ctrl+Space to select the source column(s).

  • Hold down Shift while you drag the column(s).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...