Wednesday 2 May 2018

XP to Windows 7 upgrade, WITHOUT reinstalling stuff


I have a bit of an emergency on my hands. Uncle needs his PC upgraded to Windows 7, however I'm not too keen on reinstalling all his programs. I can't remember if I did a clean install on my PC, but I vaguely remember reading about a method whereby one can keep all installed programs. Much like a Win 98 to XP install used to be like.


Is this possible?



Answer



As both the Microsoft and the Blogs DNA guide state there is no direct upgrade from XP to Windows 7 which will "transfer" installed applications from XP to 7.



The original installation discs or setup files for the programs that you want to use with Windows 7



and



You need to perform clean installation of Windows 7 by formatting your Windows XP or install on different hard drive partition keeping XP and Windows 7 in dual boot mode



The best you can hope for is to dual boot XP and Windows 7 and then gradually migrate applications to 7 over time. Once you've migrated everything you need you could then delete XP.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...