Saturday 19 May 2018

installation - Installing Windows XP to and running from an USB drive

Before you tell me to google around, trust me I did and nothing worked for me. I must be missing something.


I have a small PC with limited storage options. I have a small internal hard drive and 8GB usb stick. I can't fit the Windows XP install on the internal hard drive. So I'm trying to install it to the usb stick and make it boot.


BIOS recognizes the usb stick, also the Windows installer listed it in the partition list. It said I need to make MBR on the internal drive and use it to load OS from the usb stick, so I confirmed that, it copied some files etc, standard installation. But then after reboot I get the loading bar and after a second or two I get a BSOD with stopcode 0x7B (INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE).


I checked the usb drive on another computer, the windows folder etc is there, partitions look alright. Next I checked the internal drive from linux liveCD, there is pretty much just 3 important files, ntldr, ntdetect and boot.ini.


Now, the boot.ini says: multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition..., I'm not sure if there is some special way to address usb partitions but I couldn't find one.


Looks like the bootloader on the internal drive is just unable to mount the usb stick and start the system. Although for that brief moment of time before BSOD the stick's led is flashing, but that might just be some BIOS usb initialization.


I got an idea to maybe use a different bootloader (grub?) on the internal drive but I'm not sure how to do that.


Any advice and pointers are appreciated. If you have any questions about details I left out, please ask in the comments and I'll try to answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...