Tuesday 19 June 2018

chocolatey - What does "(Install)" mean in a package?


example: https://chocolatey.org/packages?q=notepad%2B%2B


Does Chocolatey run the native program installer? If I prefer simplicity, should I avoid packages with (Install) in their name?



Answer



Excerpt from Chocolatey.org:



This package is likely a meta/virtual (*) or an installer (*.install) or portable (*.portable) application package.


[...]



  • Install (*.install/*.app (deprecated naming convention)) - uses native installers, usually requires administrative access to install.



Whether you should avoid them or not is a question of opinion. You should form your own opinions.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...