Thursday 7 December 2017

wireless networking - How to set-up a Wi-fi network at Home?


I have a Modem. When I do 192.168.1.1 on the browser, I get the following screen


enter image description here


I assume it also router. My reason for this assumption is it has options for IPv4 Routing as show in the below image


enter image description here


The option on pressing the configuration are


enter image description here


The page under ipv4 routing is


enter image description here


Also, I have a D-Link Wireless N 150 Access point and I have a dial-up connection from an ISP and I get a dynamic IP every time I connect to the internet.


This is how dail-up a connection


enter image description here


My Question


I wish to set-up a Wi-fi network in my home and wish to use this internet connection on my 2-Android phones, 2-Laptops and Ipad. Can I do with the hardware I have, if yes HOW?


What I tried


A. I connected Dlink AP with the BSNL Modem.


B. I disabled DHCP on Dlink AP as shown in the image below


enter image description here


C. Opened the Wi-fi switch of laptop. A Local Wireless network is shown in the Network and Sharing center.


But I was unable to connect to the internet. I have one doubt, this connection in dail-up and I have to enter a name and password(stored) everytime I connect, so in this case, how will dail-up happen.



Answer



The problem is that the DSL modem is configured as a bridge, not a router. In this mode, the DSL modem has no IP-layer connection to the ISP. The Windows box is running a PPPoE client (which acts like a dialup but runs over an Ethernet network), so it has the IP-layer connection to the ISP, but it is not providing services (like DHCP and NAT) to the other network clients.


The solution is to get the PPPoE client running on the DSL modem, and enable its DHCP server and NAT if not already enabled. blasteralfred's answer contains a useful link to setup instructions for your modem (even though his version has wifi built in and yours doesn't). Specifically, Step 1 of those instructions has a link to http://www.corenetworkz.com/2010/06/configure-internet-connection-in-bsnl.html which is the PPPoE setup.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...