Wednesday 6 December 2017

macos - Ubuntu vs. Mac OS


I'm hesitating about buying a new macbook pro laptop.


I just want to learn more about os and get more experience on *unix.


Is the Ubuntu enough to me?


What mac can offer me that Ubuntu can not?



Answer



It depends on whether or not you'll use the advantages of owning a mac. Being a Win->Linux->Mac->Linux user, I've established the following:


Buy a mac if:



  • You have a mac store in your area. Problems that arise can be solved right at the local store, and are covered for free for a year through AppleCare. Otherwise, its the same as having a support plan from any other big name company.

  • You will actually get use out of proprietary software (iLife, etc). I found that the only proprietary app I used was Garage Band, and that was for fun/free time, and there are definitely MUCH better alternatives.

  • You're OK conforming to forced upon and immutable design decisions. Keep reading 'different style laptop' and 'ui customization' below.


Buy a PC if:



  • Using Linux, you want to do anything. As some have mentioned, "linux is good for computer savvy people/developers." This is a misconception, as I have seen both smart and dumb users from age 7 to age 82 using Ubuntu with no trouble. On the other end, I've seen advanced users with fully custom systems that do everything they want, and usually for no financial cost(time cost though).

  • You don't NEED apple software. There are as good or better alternatives to any apple software.

  • You want more choices. By buying a PC:

    • You have many choices for different manufacturers and hardware. You can spend as much as you want to spend on a laptop, and don't have to pay a proprietary-software-tax to get it. (windows-preinstalled will have a slight added cost)

    • You can choose a different style laptop. I found my white polycarbonate/plastic macbook to be very uncomfortable, the speakers sucked, loud fan @ high CPU, and the plastic was cheap/got dirty. Basically, be ready to get angry at design-over-functionality choices that Apple makes. At least the MBP doesn't have speakers right in the fan bay ><)

    • UI Customization. Using Linux, you can literally make your user interface how you want it. Things like OpenBox and more allow you to fine tune your experience. Even windows has applications that let you modify your UI (to a degree). As of the last time I used OSX, you basically have to suck up the way Apple decides to design your UI.

    • Software!. Running an ubuntu system, you can install software over the interwebs with ease using Package Managers. (Fink for Mac will do this too, not sure how well it works with everything though).

    • You can dual boot w/Linux or Windows, and even create a hackintosh. I've seen OSX running well on a netbook. Nuff said.




In sum, and as some others have mentioned, buy a Mac if you NEED a mac(and, of course, if you really like the feel of the laptops/ui/etc). Either way, you should choose what makes you enjoy your computer, whether that be spending less, having tons of choices, or purchasing for proprietary software and fancy/trendy looks.


[edit] sorry for the long post, hope it answered your question sufficiently[/edit]


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact&#39;s avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...