Tuesday 5 December 2017

Can't simulate 64-bit operating systems on VirtualBox




I tried to use VirtualBox to simulate Windows 10 Technical Preview, but experienced problems (see below).
My solution was to use Hyper-V (as answered in this comment).
How to access Hyper-V: Type in the Start Menu search Hyper-V Manager.



I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro x64 build 9600.
My goal is to simulate Windows 10 Technical Preview x64 on VirtualBox.
I downloaded VirtualBox 4.3.16 from its official download page.
This is my system information: Steps i've tried:



  1. I enabled virtualization:

  2. I executed command in CMD: "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" modifyvm "Windows 10" --longmode on

  3. I enabled Hyper-V feature:

  4. I also tried to use a 32-bit ISO of Windows 10 Technical Preview.
    If the status of Hyper-V is this or this, I get the following error when I start simulating Windows 10 Technical Preview:
    However, if I enable Hyper-V, I get the following error:

    If I hit Continue, the following error comes:


I still cannot use 64-bit operating systems:



Answer



By installing Hyper-V on step 3, the OP inadvertently installed a bare-metal hypervisor onto the machine. For hardware virtualization to work, the hypervisor is required to take hold of a specific feature on the CPU, either Intel VT-x or AMD-V. Only one hypervisor can control this feature at a time. In addition, a bare-metal hypervisor is in control of this feature every time the machine starts up.


For this reason you may not run more than one of the following at one time (with all feature, or at all)



  • Hyper-V*

  • Parallels Workstation

  • QEMU

  • VirtualBox

  • Virtual PC

  • VMware ESXi*

  • VMware Workstation

  • VMware Workstation Player

  • Windows Defender Application Guard*

  • Any other hypervisor that uses hardware virtualization


Items marked with * are bare-metal hypervisors.


The solution is to either uninstall Hyper-V or use Hyper-V instead of VirtualBox.


I would advise you to do the last option, as Hyper-V will be much better tested with Windows 10 preview than VirtualBox will have been.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...