Saturday 25 August 2018

Unable to access https site from my Windows XP IE 8


I'm unable to access the following website from my Internet Explorer 8 under Windows XP with Internet Explorer unable to display web page error. By the other hand the FireFox browser at the same Windows XP can access this website.


How to solve the issue with IE8 ?



Answer



The site in question uses a modern security configuration that doesn't support any of the cipher suites present in Internet Explorer 8 (or IE <= 10, or Android <= 4.3, for that matter).


You can see that the SSL handshake fails in older browsers in this handshake simulation on SSL Labs: https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=www.mycommerce.com


Google over HTTPS still allows for IE 8, but doesn't allow for IE 6. Some sites such as GitHub.com don't support IE on Windows XP at all due to outdated cipher suites.


This is a server-side configuration that is not within your control. You can either upgrade to IE 11 or use Firefox (although Firefox 52 is the last version to support Windows XP).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact&#39;s avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...