Wednesday 22 August 2018

windows xp - Why is my desktop PC unable to get an IP Address from the router?

Since this morning my desktop pc (connected directly to the router) is unable to connect to the internet. My laptop is connected to the same router via a wireless access point and its internet connectivity works fine, so I assume the router is fine.


I can ping 127.0.0.1 on my desktop pc, and the lights where the network cable is plugged in shine. I have also swapped network cables. No change, so I assume the cables are fine.


The auto-assigned IP address on the desktop PC is 169.254.xxx.xxx. So I assume the pc cannot get an IP address from the router.


Also, I had a look in device manager and everything seems in order.


My router has the latest firmware.


Windows firewall is turned off. I do not have any other firewalls.


I have rebooted both router and desktop pc several times.


The latest motherboard ethernet drivers are installed.


Any ideas? Everything seems to be in perfect order, except that my desktop pc cannot get an IP address.


My environment:



  • Windows XP SP2

  • Billion ADSL Router. MAC Filtering disabled. DHCP enabled. 100 IP
    addresses available in IP range.

  • MSI K8N SLI motherboard (on-board ethernet).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...