Tuesday 21 August 2018

Web pages never load despite internet access on Vista


A friend has asked me to have a look at his Vista laptop, which "can't connect to the internet".


I have found that I can connect to a wireless network, and from a command prompt can ping websites successfully, so there is internet access. However, both IE (8) and Firefox (3.5) never manage to load a webpage (just hangs forever). I can't run windows update either - doesn't download anything.


Any ideas where to start troubleshooting? It looks like Norton was installed at some point and has been uninstalled, but Windows Security Centre still thinks it is there and out of date. I've reset IE settings, turned Windows firewall on and off, but to no avail.



Answer



System Restore fixed it. I guess I will never know what exactly the problem was. My suspicions are that it had just had too many different Anti-Virus packages installed and uninstalled.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...