Tuesday 28 August 2018

Windows 7: Error Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device

Sometimes, when trying to eject (remove) an external USB hard drive, Windows 7 issues the following error:



Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device


Windows can't stop your 'Generic volume' device because a program is still using it. Close any programs that might be using the device, and then try again later.



This question addresses this issue when it happens in Windows XP or Windows Vista. Are there better techniques to use in Windows 7 SP1, preferably something that does not require a closed-source third-party tool?


Things I have tried:



  • Closing all applications.

  • Letting the system sit for 5 minutes to finish any outstanding NTFS journal writes.

  • Disabling Windows indexing.

  • Ensuring that there are no shares.

  • Temporarily disabling antivirus.

  • Using USB Disk Ejector (did not help).

  • Putting the system in sleep mode and then waking it up.

  • Using SysInternal's Process Explorer to see if any processes are using the drive.


My technique in the past was to turn off the system, but chkdsk often detects errors after doing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...