Tuesday 28 August 2018

How to install GCC on Windows 7


I've downloaded GCC 4.5.1 and do not know what to do next. I've found instructions inside the Install directory for how to configure, build and install, but I still cannot do much with this. What are step-by-step instructions for how am I supposed to go through this process?


For example, they say something like this:


    % mkdir objdir
% cd objdir
% srcdir/configure [options] [target]

And I do understand that the first line creates a directory and the second goes into the directory. But what about third line, and how am I supposed to execute this? Am I supposed to go to source directory and type configure + options + target?



Answer



You don't install GCC like this. You use "Cygwin" or "MSYS" for this purpose (compiling). Cygwin is like a.... Linux-Windows combination? One should read the documentation. In a nutshell: You get a Bash, GCC and other stuff, but it is SLOW.


MSYS is much better on the other hand. It provides a win32 binary of GCC and all the development tools.


If you just want to develop, you should choose a package like this: http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/26 codeblocks-10.05mingw-setup.exe << This one.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact&#39;s avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...