Thursday 23 August 2018

networking - 10GbE Win8.1 file sharing between 3 PCs without a switch


I have 3 windows 8.1 PCs, and they each have two one-port Mellanox 10GbE NICs. I'm using 3 SFP+ Twinax cables to connect them all as per below diagram. Only one of those PCs is also connected to internet via 1GbE port on the Mobo (and is the only PC that needs internet).


Network topology: http://i61.tinypic.com/2ymhl00.jpg


I want to be able to access files from all computers from any of the 3 computers using Windows sharing. If any one of the 3 PCs is shut down at any time, I still want to be able to transfer files between the two that are turned on.


What network configuration do I have to perform in order to enable stable file sharing between all of the computers? I read about static routing being the answer, but I have no idea what IP/subnetmask/gateway values I need to use on each machine for proper configuration.


I'm not using a switch/router because no affordable switch/router with 3+ 10GbE ports even exists. I need 10GbE for moving huge raw 4K video files at speeds up to 1GB/s between raid0 arrays. 1GbE speed of 111MB/s is not acceptable.



Answer



Here is one way to do it:


Example diagram



  • System A would have the IPs 10.11.11.10 & 10.22.22.10.

  • System B would have the IPs 10.22.22.20 & 10.33.33.20.

  • System C would have the IPs 10.33.33.30 & 10.11.11.30.


The netmask for all these interfaces would be set to 255.255.255.0 (/24).


None of those network interfaces would have a gateway defined (Windows can only have one gateway defined). I'm assuming all three PCs will have some kind of general internet access for updates and whatnot.


Additionally, to make life easier:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...